Tiny House Consulting
Does your backyard qualify for a tiny house on wheels? Are you looking for a yardshare for your tiny house on wheels? Trying to understand the new rules? Tiny House Consulting is here to help. Join our mailing list to stay informed about tiny house news or call 805-215-5474.
YIMBY spoken here--yes in my backyard!
New program helps bring tiny house dreams to life in SLO city backyards
SmartShare Housing Solution's newest program is Tiny House Consulting, created to make connections between people and tiny house living. A new ordinance now allows tiny houses on wheels in SLO City backyards, opening up new housing possibilities. We're here to help folks go from dream to reality, whether they have a lot that might be suitable, or own their own tiny house and are looking for a yard to host it. The photo shows the first yardshare match in SLO! Rita and Taylor agreed to share Taylor's yard and Rita moved her tiny house in on August 13th. Congrats to both!
Our staff has background in planning, permitting and construction, and experience in drafting sharing agreements. Sign up below to stay in the loop or call 805-215-5474.
Our Goal: To get Tiny Homes on wheels in SLO backyards as housing for low income SLO residents by the end of 2020. Join our effort to put more safe, affordable, sustainable housing on the ground by donating, volunteering, or getting involved with advocacy. Tiny Footprint Expo 2020 returns to Madonna Meadows on October 10 and 11--see you there!
What's the Deal with Tiny Homes on Wheels?
FAQ's--for more info please see link above to city of SLO info page
What's currently allowed?
- A tiny house on wheels now qualifies as an accessory dwelling unit (ADU, granny unit) in the City of SLO
- Tiny homes on wheels are allowed most places in SLO City where a standard foundation-built ADU can be placed
- A primary house must be in place first
- Size: 150-400 square feet (not including lofts)
- Utilities are connected to primary house utilities: water, electricity, sewer. Hookups and pad require an easy over-the-counter permit
- Tiny house must be in back or side yard and stay on its wheels
What's not yet allowed?
- No tiny homes on wheels outside of the SLO city limits yet--the County of SLO, other cities in the county have not allowed them so far
- Tiny home as the only home on the lot is not allowed
- One of the homes must be owner-occupied--tiny house or main house
- Tiny house must resemble a 'traditional home' and be certified by an industry-recognized standard as safe and energy efficient
Interested in tiny house living? Have a backyard and thinking about a tiny house for it? Join our list and we'll stay in touch with relevant news.