ADU SLO, a program of the non-profit Smart Share Housing Solutions, was created to help push opportunities for safe and affordable housing through Tiny House On Wheels (THOWs) and Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs).
What is an ADU? Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a permanent residential dwelling unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, and is accessory to an existing or proposed primary dwelling. Started in 2019, The ADU SLO Program assists property owners on the logistics of adding housing units using backyards, garages, infill lots and existing buildings that already have infrastructure and embedded energy grid. In mid 2019, the ADU SLO held the Tiny Footprint Expo, showcasing small homes and offering educational workshops. 850 persons attended more than 25 educational workshops and more than 6,000 people attended the 3-day event!
- Two New Projects in 2023! -
Arroyo Grande ADU Program & the Demo Off-Grid Home
Arroyo Grande ADU
This project is funded for 2023 and 2024 for How-To Workshops and a Demonstration ADU project in the City of Arroyo Grande. (At this time, site feasibility visits and ADU information services will be limited to Arroyo Grande residents.) Please look for announcements and updates on upcoming workshops-and you can find updates on the City of Arroyo Grande's pre-reviewed ADU plans here: City of ArroyoGrande-ADUs. We expect the final report to come out in mid 2023.
Looking for more information on ADUs and THOWs? We recommend these links and resources:
- Check the Smart Share Housing Solutions YouTube Channel, here www.youtube.com/@smartsharehousingsolutions3586:
- Discover the Casita Coalition's wealth of resources, including informational booklets and videos and legislative updates here: www.casitacoalition.org
- American Tiny House Association: Americantinyhouseassociation.org
- You can also find a wealth of useful information on ADUs from California's Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) here: www.hcd.ca.gov
Demo Off-Grid Home in SLO
The actual Demo Tiny Home On Wheels, expected to be completed soon, will show how a small living space can function as a safe, efficient and beautiful living environment for the County's 1 in 4 single person households, including SLO's single seniors... Once our project is fully funded, Smart Share Housing Solutions will hold workshops, coffee chats and other educational opportunities at the Demo House in the Grove behind the SLO Guild Hall, 2880 Broad Street, San Luis Obispo, throughout 2023. The Demo House will:
- Show off a similar beautiful interior layout as homes proposed for the Waterman Village
- Help Smart Share Housing Solutions establish a pilot program in the County allowing 5-15 caretakers quarters, off-grid THOWs, on multiple sites at churches and service clubs
- To hold energy efficiency workshops in conjunction with www.3c-ren.org and other partner organizations
Sign up here to join our mailing list!