How It Works
Creating Housing Solutions by Connecting People and Homes
Home Providers--Step by Step
- Call to schedule a home visit, 805-215-5474.
- Fill out application (we can help).
- We conduct background screening and check your personal references.
- Be patient while we find you compatible matches.
- You conduct phone interview with selected home seekers (pre-screened and qualified). We help by providing interview questions.
- Meet your potential match in person. (We suggest a neutral location, such as a coffee shop.) Again, we send you a list of questions covering the main areas of concern.
- As the home provider, YOU are in control.
- If all goes well, we strongly suggest a trial match of a few days (14 days for Task Exchange homeshares), with the home seeker bringing just a suitcase and any pets who will be part of the household.
- You select the seeker to share your home with.
- Get it in writing with a Living Together Agreement. Our template covers all the bases, from rent amount, to utilities, to parking and more. We've added space for your COVID precautions so you're both on the same page and agree on cleanliness, masks, visitors and outside exposure. Tasks and schedule of hours included for Reduced Rent homeshares.
- Your match fee is half the first month's rent for regular homeshare matches--for full Task Exchange homeshares, you may donate if you wish (most providers generously donate half the first month's rent.)
- Monitoring. HomeShareSLO staff will check in regularly to make sure all goes well, assisting with mediation if necessary.
- Exit strategy. The average home share match lasts 1-4 years. Make it a smooth transition by planning in advance with exit strategy guidelines as part of your written agreement.
Home Seekers--Step by Step
- Check the Do I Qualify? page to see if you meet minimum qualifications.
- Call us and we'll pre-qualify you over the phone and set up an application/interview meeting with our staff out of doors, with masks and social distancing.
- Bring your completed application, valid photo I.D., proof of income, 2-3 months of bank statements, and 3-4 references.
- No screening fee or application fee (donated by our funders)
- We conduct background screening and call your references.
- We give your contact info to suitable home providers. They call you for the first conversation.
- First meet them in person at a neutral outdoor location like a coffee shop or park. We supply helpful lists of questions to discuss.
- If your phone and in-person conversations go well, they'll invite you to see the space and meet outside their home.
- If you agree on the main terms and everything looks positive, they may invite you to conduct a Trial Match, where you stay for a few days with just a suitcase to test the match. (Trial matches for Reduced Rent Task Exchange homeshares are 2 weeks.)
- Sign the Living Together Agreement and start home sharing! At this signing meeting, you will pay your first month's rent, and your deposit will be due, usually an additional month's rent.
- Note: please factor the cost of shared utilities into your housing budget. These can range from $50-150 per month, depending on size of shared spaces, seasonal variations and amenities.
- Feel free to contact us with questions--we're here to help and dedicated to your successful home share experience.